Every electronic device needs to have some operating system on which it has to work on. Most of the devices today work on Windows whether they are computer systems or smartphones. Now, the question arises is that ‘what is Windows software and what is it used for?’ The answer is: it is an operating system basically owned by Microsoft which provides Graphical User Interface to the computer system so that it can easily interpret your commands and work them accordingly. It is one of the easiest and most compatible operating systems among all which provide you best platform to work upon. Developing Windows software is not a very big deal to crack. If you are a beginner and want to learn how to develop Windows software, then you can easily do it by following the steps given below:
- Get a compiler: The first thing you would need to have before creating Windows software is a compiler. A working process of the compiler is quite easy, interesting and essential one. It actually compiles the entire program and translates the source code of a programming language to an executable and readable code. There are various compilers but here we are going to explain the developing process of Windows software with the help of DEV-CPP IDE compiler. So download and install it to your system and starts developing Windows software with the help of it.
- Open the installed compiler DEV-CPP IDE: After you have successfully installed DEV-CPP IDE to your device, the next thing you have to do is to open it to start the developing process of Windows software. Once you have clicked to open it, a Window page along with a text area will appear on your computer screen. You will have to add the desired source code of the software which you are going to develop on it.
- Get ready to write a program to display text in a textbox: W32 is application software which does not behave same as that of other languages like Java and HTML. Therefore you need to add source into the sample program so that you could easily understand is working and its limitations also.
- In the main screen of DEV-CPP, go to File > New > Project: Now, go to the option of File > New > and then Project and which will open a new Windows page on your screen. Go to the option of Windows applications and set the default language as “C” here. Now, click on the ‘Name’ option and set up a name of your software. Now, click on the save option to save the entire settings in a file directory in a particular location.
- Type “#include<windows.h>” (without the quotes) at the beginning of source code: Now open the page on where you have saved your project. It will open a Windows library where you to add #include “resource.h” followed by const char g_szClassName = “myWindowClass”; just beneath the library.
- Add a method to handle all the messages from the resources: You can introduce a method on the Windows page which will enable you to handle the entire messages of your Windows from the resource method. You can easily do it by just naming the application file particularly a name option followed by .c extension. For example, we can here save the file here as simpleProg.c.
- Start coding of the source: Now, the next thing you have to do is to start the coding of the program. While coding the first thing you have to keep in mind is that to start the coding with #include<windows.h>. Write the entire coding of your program carefully.
- Save the program file: Once you have successfully created the source code of your program go for the save option to save the program so that to reduce the chances of being lost. You can choose the desired location on your computer system for saving this file so that can be recovered easily when needed.
- Compile and Run: Once you have successfully saved the file the next thing you have to do is to compile the program so as to find to errors if any. You can easily do it by choosing the ‘Execute option’ from the menu bar and then click on the option of ‘Compile and Run’. Or you can also do it directly by just pressing the F9 key. Once the compiler has completed the compilation program and there are no errors found, then just run the program.